ELUCiDATA - Experiential Learning Using natural heritage Collections and Data
The Initative Team
University College Cork
The School of BEES has extensive collections of zoological, geological and botanical material with potential value as a learning resource for students. Unfortunately, these important collections (with essential associated data) are difficult to access as they are stored in cramped conditions and are inadequately labelled. Our current students need an easily accessible collection of specimens/data to allow them to experience the diversity of biological life that is central to many of their modules e.g. ZY2000/5, ZY3015, PS2003, EV3013, GL3007.
Objectives of this T&L initiative:
1. Restore these natural heritage collections in BEES to identify and curate material with historical value from that which can be safely handled, measured, experimented on and experienced by students to enhance their learning
2. Develop a display and accessible storage/retrieval of specimens
3. Using the collections, develop a postgraduate module on bio/geological diversity that will be of relevance to postgraduates in BEES, to those on the MA Museum Studies and to students from other institutions
The project will employ one Research Assistant and student help to produce a teaching resource, re-organise the collections and contribute to the formation of new courses using the museum material.
• A professional display of a range of specimens suitable for student learning and with the potential for display to the public in future years
• An outline of a new postgraduate module on biological and geological diversity