VITAL – Valuing Ireland’s Teaching and Learning (VITAL) is a national exploration of how teaching and learning is valued across a range of levels in Irish higher education including individual, discipline, institution and system.
The VITAL consultation will involve students, staff, leaders and policymakers and will initially centre on three questions:
- How is teaching and learning currently valued and recognised?
- Ideally, how could it be valued and recognised?
- What influences how teaching and learning is valued and recognised?
The consultation provides the opportunity for individuals, disciplines, institutions and the higher education system
- to articulate a shared declaration with regard to how we value teaching and learning in Irish higher education
- to define, collectively and in partnership, an agreed approach to how we recognise and demonstrate the value of teaching and learning in Irish higher education.
Through this consultation, a national picture and narrative will be developed and an evidence base for future decisions will be established. This will be an important first step in working towards a truly consultative, context-appropriate and national approach to valuing and recognising teaching and learning in Irish higher education.
- A review of related literature
- A national consultation
- A consolidation of what we have learned so far as a sector about valuing and recognising teaching and learning
- Invited contributions from international higher education colleagues