Enhancing Digital Literacies for Language Learning and Teaching
Project Lead: University of Limerick
Project Partners: Dublin City University, Dublin Institute of Technology, Limerick Institute of Technology, Mary Immaculate College, National University of Ireland, Galway
The urgent need to address the national language skills’ shortage has been highlighted in numerous arenas (e.g. 2011 Forfás Report “Guidance for Higher Education Providers on Current and Future Skills Needs of Enterprise”). In the context of the need for a continued economic recovery, language skills and proficiency are essential. Against this backdrop, and the need for more flexible support to language learners during various transition periods, this project aims to develop a digital interactive resource centre for languages. It will be of use as a significant student support mechanism, and also as an online learning tool for a number of different purposes. Within the scope of this project the target groups include higher education (HE) first year students, study abroad students, and language teachers, with resources also being of interest and benefit to others.
This proposal, led by UL, will be implemented through 7 work packages, and overseen by UL’s Dean of Teaching and Learning, Dr Fiona Farr. The lead contacts from each institution, and the relevant Heads of Department are listed here:
Institution Plenary Group Member Head of Department/School
DCU Dr Françoise Blin Prof. Dorothy Kenny
DIT Odette Gabaudan Dr Siobhan Ni Laoire
LIT Dr Caitríona Ní Chasaide Eoghan Sadlier
MIC Dr Anne O’Keeffe Máire Ní Neachtain
NUIG Dr Laura McLoughlin Dr Kate Quinn
UL Dr Liam Murray Dr Cinta Ramblado
Each partner institution will contribute to the implementation and coordination of the work packages as follows:
Work package and coordination Timeframe Details:
1.Educational Development: Technology (Project Co-ordination) (UL) Jan 2016 – June 2017 Operation and co-ordination, and working with each of the partners.
2. Research and Evaluation (UL) Jan 2016 – June 2016
April 2017 – May 2017 Research with target users and final evaluation of the portal.
3. Digital Literacies for Language Development (DCU) Jan 2016 – June 2017 Design, develop, and pilot a digital literacies toolkit for language learning in line with the All Aboard National Framework for Digital Skills
4. Language Learning Skills and Practices (NUIG) Jan 2016 – June 2017 Curate existing OERs and where necessary create new materials for the four intralingual skills, as well as domains of use.
5. Transitions to third level language learning environments (UL) Jan 2016 – June 2017 Curate and create, materials to enhance the transition to language learning in HE.
6. Localisation Pilot Project (NUIG) Jan 2017 – June 2017 Localise the project website into Irish with a view to creating a template for possible further use with other languages.
7. Technical Design and Development (UL) Jan 2017 – June 2017 Develop the technical aspects around the portal and the contents from WPs 3, 4, and 5.