Final Year Matters Moving On (FYMMO) was one of three initiatives funded under SATLE2019. The initiative was established to flank First Year Matters, the IADT orientation programme for incoming students. The FYMMO initiative was designed to facilitate students to make the transition from final year student into the world of further study, employment, craft and entrepreneurship. In its implementation, the programme was a cross-institute initiative involving academic and support staff as well as the Student Union.
COVID-19 had a significant impact on the original vision for the initiative, but the team worked to re-orientate the initiative to adopt to on online environment and many of the planned activities associated with the work took place online. The initiative is currently reaching the final phase. The team are seeking funding to further extend and embed the FYMMO initiative across the Institute.
The next iteration of the initiative will do the following:
• Build on the online experience of 2020/21 to provide a hybrid set of events and resources for the stage 3 and 4 students and graduates
• Pilot and develop a mentoring programme to harness the experience and goodwill of the alumni
• Focus on graduate attributes with a view to assisting students to articulate clearly the skills and competencies they have acquired
• Continue to develop the wellbeing dimension of FYMMO
• Engage in research to establish impact to-date
The initiative will continue to operate collaboratively with Student Services, the SU Education Officer and Academic staff represented on the team.