The National Forum, in partnership with ISSE, offers a series of workshops in April//May each year to highlight how ISSE can be used to enhance teaching and learning in higher education. The most recent workshops took place on May 9th and 10th, 2017. The presentation slides from that workshop are available here.
The workshops have two aims:
- To provide an introduction to the ISSE data and to its interpretation to support heads of department/ school or faculty in interpreting the national and institutional data.
- To look at particular areas of the survey that could be used to support the enhancement of teaching and learning at discipline level.
The workshops are facilitated by: Sean O Reilly ISSE and Terry Maguire National Forum
The following datasets are available
2016 Full Dataset
- All fields| Download
2013-14-15 Combined Dataset
- Science Maths Computing Engineering Manufacturing and Construction | Download
- Social Science Business and Law| Download
- Education and Training Humanities and Arts| Download
- Agriculture and Veterinary Health and Welfare Services| Download
Some Insights from Previous Workshops
- Workshops attracted a range of individuals with different levels of previous engagement with the survey
- There was a strong confirmation of the value of the data (this was the first time national-level disciplinary data was available in this way)
- The discussions at the workshop highlighted the potential usefulness of the data at a departmental level in particular its potential to support programme development
- Getting accessible data at a department level within an institution is sometimes challenging and different models of distribution were being used within institutions (in some institutions ISSE data is centralised in CLT and rolled out to Departments, in others it was the responsibility of the institution researcher or the Registrar’s office or the data was analysed by one departments and then distributed to other departments)
- Some concerns were expressed at the capacity of institutions to engage with and interpret the data
- There is a need to capture good practice and learn from the range of approaches being used. This needs to be communicated at a national level
- There was confirmation of the benefit of partnership in making the data accessible. ISSE and the National Forum will partner in a follow up event that will combine all 3 years data and facilitate further discussion at disciplinary level
Forum Insight Reports
The following reports give a summary of the 2014 ISSE report: